Dear Parents and Carers,
Only two more days until the big event of our annual St Thomas the Apostle Fete! I’m really looking forward to this fun community event, as are all of the children.
We have had a terrific response from families to help out on Saturday but there is still room for more. Email the office, follow the link in the Fete section of the newsletter, or phone Jodie, if you would like to work for an hour on one of the stalls.
Don’t forget that every St Thomas the Apostle student will have their name in the draw for the 165 cm (65 inch) UHD 4K Smart TV donated by Hodgkinson Reals Estate. To win, they must be present at the time of the draw.
The weather forecast is for a fine and coolish day, so perfect for the fete.
See you Saturday!
|Friday 8 November||
Fete Setup day - NO ASSEMBLY
|Saturday 9 November||
Fete 10am - 2pm
|Monday 11 November||
Swimming Program begins
Monday Prayer (1B - Remembrance Day)
Tuesday 12 November
TeamKids Information for parents 6 - 6.45pm
Thursday 14 November
Class Mass (1R, 5/6R) 9.30am
Kinder Orientation 9.30am - 10.50am
Reconciliation (5/6G) 11.40am
Seasons for Growth Reconnector
This week our Seasons for Growth groups met for the final time this year in re-connector sessions. During this time, we discussed any concerns the children may have and look forward to the future knowing that the friendships and understandings built during these ten gatherings will nurture and support them in the future. This peer support and confidentiality within the groups is part of the enduring beauty and gift of the Seasons for Growth program.
I have felt honoured to companion the children and would like to thank each of them for having the courage to be involved and for the support and kindness of their teachers.
Big Life Changes
It is a wonderful time of year, consolidation of work learnt, ongoing learning and celebrations of life at school. It is also a time for some in which there are Big Life Changes and for some children as they leave and begin new adventures. BigLifeJournal.com is a great site for all sorts of parenting and growth mindset ideas. If you would like to read ways of supporting your child through Big Life Changes have a look at this site. Below I will list briefly 7 of their ideas:
- Give them time to prepare. This allows them time to process and begin to accept the change.
- Listen to their concerns. Help them work through the emotions that they’re feeling. If your child struggles to name what he is feeling, help him to label the emotions (e.g. anxious, sad, nervous, worried, scared).
- Read books about big life changes.
- Keep routines the same. Big life journal suggests giving your children as much consistency and stability as possible, in particular bedtimes and mealtimes. This structure helps children to feel safe.
- Provide connection and play. Remain consistent in your child’s connection with you, so that your child knows that no matter what else changes you aren’t going anywhere.
- Give them choices and ask for help. During big life changes children can feel that they have no control over their lives. Give them some sense of agency by allowing your child to make small choices, e.g. what should the first meal in the new house be?
- Talk about other changes. Talking about things they have successfully coped with in the past, e.g. starting school, getting a new pet, joining a soccer team.
Wishing you joy-filled and hope-filled parenting, Veronica.
Helping your child avoid being cyberbullied
Cyberbullying of children and teenagers is one of the greatest fears facing parents today. The thought of their child being subjected to heinous words, threats to their physical safety, as well as their social and emotional wellbeing, is something no parent wants their child to experience.
Fete Cheat Sheet
The following flyer has general information on the Fete:
Fete Newsletter #2
Tickets are now for sale via Qkr!
$10 Pick a Prize per sheet of 20 tickets
Up to 5 sheets can be purchased through Qkr!
$50 gift voucher to the family that sells the highest number of tickets!!!
We are looking for volunteers to help at the following:
Hot Food: 1pm-2pm 3 spots & 2-3pm: 2 spots
Side Show Alley: 1-2pm: 1 spot & 2-3pm: 2 spots
Trash ‘n Treasure: 1-2pm & 2-3pm: 2 spots each
Books and Music: 1-2pm: 1 spot & 2-3pm: 2 spots
Used Clothing: 1-2pm & 2-3pm: 1 spot each
Tombola: 1-2pm & 2-3pm: 1 spot each
Set up Friday after school from 3.30pm
Fete Day pack up: from 2.30pm
Signup in 3 easy steps:
1) Click link below
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone.
Please see the following link to the Fete Cookbook
Next Fete Meeting (Wrap up)
Monday 18 November 6pm
This week at Playgroup we will be doing Teddy Bear craft and activities. Due to the weather the picnic will be postponed until the following week (15 November).
The St Thomas the Apostle Playgroup is held every Friday between 9:15am and 11am. Parents and Carers with children from 0-4 are welcome to come along.
Parents and Carers are required to sign in at the Front Office before Playgroup.
For more information, please contact Nicole Joyce, our playgroup convenor, or the Front Office on 62314144 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Session Tuesday 12 November 6.00 - 6.45pm
TeamKids will be holding an information session to ensure families of St Thomas Apostle have all the required information to register and join TeamKids Before, After and Vacation Care service. See the flyer below for details
School families are invited to bring a picnic dinner and join in the 75th Canberra Carols by Candlelight, to be held at Stage 88, Commonwealth Park, on Saturday, December 14 from 7pm.
Organised by the Woden Valley Youth Choir, this event is the second longest-running city community carols in Australia (Melbourne is the longest).
Come and join us for a night of song and celebration. It's a great way to begin the Christmas season.
We'll also be collecting donations for this year's charity.
Find us on Facebook ("75th Carols by Candlelight") for more details.